Monday, December 1, 2008

Bob Paris


If they're ever going to do a schmaltzy, triumphant sports movie about bodybuilding, there'd be no better story than that of the devastatingly handsome Bob Paris. He was a homeless teenager that emerged from absolutely nowhere to win the Mr. Olympia at age 23.



Alas, ladies, Bob Paris is one of the few openly gay bodybuilders...as in actually gay, instead of having a gay-for-pay biz on the side to keep them in soy powder and Brazilian horse steroids. Bob Paris fights for civil rights and dignity for homosexuals, which is admirable and makes him one of those "role model" types that "overcome adversity," like Colin Powell and so forth.

There are a few openly gay bodybuilders, natch. Most of them work for Cher.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow this is nice to see I was and still am a avid fan of Bob Paris from a personal and professional point of view I am a gay man and he is my hero and I always liked his career before he came out He is the epitome of fitness and health. Very symmetrical
Thanks for posting and I was pleased to see there is more gay bodybuilders out there.

Michael said...

Whaaat? Homeless, the Mr. O? Oh, that must be the movie version. I actually met Bob once in Seattle, where he was living in the eighties. It was at a gym, and he was personal training someone, and I just walked up to him just to shake his hand, and try to say something, but I was tongue-tied.

He was shorter than I thought he'd be.

Michael said...

OK, I just visited his website, and I sit half corrected, he was homeless. But was Mr. America and Mr. Universe, not Mr. Olympia.

Anonymous said...

lol, brazillian horse steriods! you're great.

chocosugoi said...

I didn't know he was gay. And also fighting for rights. Hpw cool!!!!
Now i'm more fan of him than before :D

Anonymous said...

I Love Bobby! All you fans out there need to read his book "Gorilla Suit." He did a great job of telling his personal story as well as behind the scenes look at that level of body building. Wish he talked more about his coming out struggle and early experences though. After reading it you really want to know him personaly.