Monday, April 20, 2009

Keith Hamilton Cobb


Despite my interest in that kind of drama, I've never watched daytime soaps, since I actually, generally have had to work for a living. So the first place I ever saw the extraordinarily sensitive, "thinking man" strongman Keith Hamilton Cobb was in the potboiler science fiction drama Andromeda.

Here's what I thought was absolutely genius about that series: every TV show from Dynasty to 90210 has a regular cast and guest-stars that are "beautiful people" in stunning clothes, both male and (usually) female. Yet Andromeda was the first series to actually have a built-in reason for explaining exactly why that was: since it was the future and genetic engineering was widespread, attractive people were relatively commonplace. I wonder what Isaac Asimov's notoriously plain, prim creation Susan Calvin would say to that.



Keith Hamilton Cobb's character was something very common in science fiction: a sidekick that was more interesting and compelling than the main hero. His character, Tyr Anasazi, was a smart and selfish Nietzchian superman, cunning, cynical and loyal only to himself, with a deep love of philosophy, especially Ayn Rand and Nietzche. Tyr also has the distinction of being the only person in the cast whose name and character I actually remember. Andromeda wasn't a great series, after all, and my friends that continued to watch it after the first season tell me that afterwards it got exponentially worse. In all honesty, the only reason I watched it for a very long time was for KHC in a mesh muscle-shirt.



I have absolutely no idea why Keith Hamilton Cobb isn't more famous than he currently is. Physically impressive and imposing, he's not just another muscleboy: he usually plays cultured, intelligent men. He has a startling deep voice that is naturally commanding. Maybe that's the reason that KHC hasn't been seen much: thinking men are very much out of fashoin in the action world.

3 comments:

Michael said...

I think I was able to stand one episode of Andromeda, AKA Hercules in space. You're right about KHC, a very interesting actor, and It's always nice to see a man of color cast as the super man. I read Mike Mentzer's Heavy Duty, which was also peppered with much Ayn Rand...

Esperanto Grrl said...

Bear in mind that I've only seen one episode of Hercules. I wasn't allowed to watch much television at my house growing up, and Kevin Sorbo always reminded me of a less intelligent version of MacGyver anyway, that kind of laid-back Minnesota Swede type - I was always looking for Sorbo's eighties hockey mullet.

But from what I remember, Kevin Sorbo's character in Hercules was a stand-up, traditional Lone Ranger type hero that was right all the friggin' time, whereas Kevin Sorbo's character in Andromeda at least initially had the promise of being little more intense, who because of the loss he suffered was someone that wasn't always thinking straight.

In practice, of course, it was very much as you described - Hercules in Space. I suppose (being a math and science inclined person) that I've always had a preference for science fiction, even the bad kind, over fairy-and-dragon type fantasy.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for a very good blog.

Recommended source:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/women_adoring_musclemen/