Tuesday, May 11, 2010

"Weird Science" Muscle Growth Episode on Hulu

The muscle growth episode of the "Weird Science" TV series is right now on Hulu (first season, "One Size Fits All" if you're looking for it)...as is, for that matter, the entire series. Watch this episode here.


I didn't remember the "Weird Science" TV series...but Vanessa Angel is, surprisingly, a really great comedian with great timing. She's not as spellbinding as Kelly LeBrock, but she is a lot funnier. Supposedly, Vanessa Angel was the original choice for Xena, Warrior Princess, but Lucy Lawless was the last-minute replacement when she became unavailable...which I find hard to believe.

What I find amusing is the choice to play Wyatt's amazonian girlfriend. If she's an athlete and weightlifter, then I'm a Viking Princess.

Here's one of the more choice sequences for all you beefcake pervs:



A friend of mine that understood men as nearly as possible as it is to understand men, once said that every single guy's favorite movie was almost always one of three films: The Big Lewbowski, The Usual Suspects, and Pulp Fiction. If you've seen all three, you can talk with men about nearly any movie. While I liked all three of those films I'd hardly consider them my favorite movies ever, but then again, I'm not the target audience so it doesn't matter what I think.

If there's a female equivalent of the Pulp Fiction/Usual Suspects/Big Lebowski trio, it would probably be the John Hughes high school films. I always operated under the assumption that the John Hughes movies were all set in the same continuity, and that Anthony Michael Hall's character in Weird Science was the exact same guy as the Freshman in Sixteen Candles. After all, he pretty much played the exact same character in both films: a spastic, immature, yet sweet nerd who was totally unaware he was a geek and thought of himself as a cocky, sophisticated ladies man that understands romance and women.

I always thought Weird Science was John Hughes's Return of the Jedi, the weakest of his movies, kept watchable only because of adorable supercutie Ilan Michael Smith as Wyatt, and the absolutely cool and mesmerizing Kelly LeBrock. Add these two to another lengthy list of actors that I'm astonished never really became very big stars.

2 comments:

Yachirobi said...

Just for the record, I got bored watching Big Lebowski (but The Dude is a cool character) and I don't like The Usual Suspects. I dig Pulp Fiction, though.

I would think Fight Club would be on that list too. Every guy I know loves Fight Club except for the most goody-goody. A lot of women love Fight Club too. (And the author is gay! The homoeroticism isn't completely accidental!)

Esperanto Grrl said...

Ha! I want to kick myself for leaving off "Fight Club."

Congratulations for being the first guy I've ever met that doesn't like the Usual Suspects.

In theory, we all like to say that we are understanding, hip, and accepting people. But there is such a thing as an opinion that instantly flashes a WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! About anyone that has it.

The movie 300 does that for me. As does any guy that is seriously into Jessica Alba. Maybe I feel that way because I was midway through my mathematics and education degrees and working as a substitute teacher for the very first time the weekend after that movie came out. The high schoolers I was with felt the urge to yell lines from that movie ALL THE TIME.

I actually saw 300, and interesting bodies aside...it's one of the few movies I've ever seen where you can tell someone is evil by the fact that they talk in a normal tone of voice.