Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Commercial Illustrator Glen Hanson

The first place I ever saw Glen Hanson was on the back of inexpensive men's fragrance BOD. Which apparently had really stylish commercial art featuring gorgeous guys that are objects of desire by submissive women.







The guy on there immediately got my attention! The fragrance sure as hell didn't: despite the supervirille and provocative names like "Really Ripped Abs," the stuff smelled like the gland secretions of a musk ox in mating season.
Guys, just be clean, okay? This stuff is a turn-off to most women...well, those not from New Jersey, anyway.
Hey, here's a Jersey joke: what's the difference between Jersey girls and trash?

Sometimes, trash gets picked up!

(Ahhh, now I have to go to blogger confessional. "Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I took the easy way out and did Jersey jokes.")


But I've got to admit, while Axe did the ad best, BOD did it first: and I have to admit some of the abs on their ads were really yummy. Check it out:



When I first saw the ads for Axe, my reaction was at first anger, and then it became laughter. The fundamental immaturity of the male target audience is pretty obvious from the advertising, and shows. Like with the equally vile energy drinks, I've never met a man over 23 that touches the stuff.

(On an unrelated note, I can't stand energy drinks, not only because they taste like liquid aspirin or because of the insufferability and immaturity of the target demographic, but also because it troubles me that something as adult as morning coffee or tea could be replaced by something so childish. It was something of a mistake for Starbucks to start to sell coffee milkshakes.)
Now, as for Glen Hanson, he's the kind of guy that you intend to grow up to be when you go to school to become a commercial illustrator: raking in the bread for advertisements and album covers, with a distinctive, immediately identifiable style.


What startles me is how an openly gay artist could do women so well, and with such obvious gusto. I have trouble thinking of a halfway decent, beautiful female sculpture by famous gay artists like Michaelangelo and Leonardo da Vinci for instance.

No comments: