Saturday, January 24, 2009

Yes, Pecan!




I wouldn't be human if I didn't gloat about the Obama inauguration just a little bit.

My favorite part was watching it on the BBC, where the Brits are a lot less mealy-mouthed about these things than we are. When Barack gave that bit about how it is a false dilemma between our values and our security, they cut immediately to a reaction shot of the C-Plus Augustus and the announcer cried with his formal broadcast "BBC English," that "That line was clearly a stinger missile homed in on his predecessor."

Chief Justice Roberts fed him a bad version of the speech, of course, which may be payback for Barry voting against Roberts' confirmation to the court. Other low points included that boring poem that sounds like something I'd write at age 19 read by the least-firebrand orator this side of that teacher from FERRIS BUELLER. If I was freezing my body Cuban behind at the Inauguration, that was the moment I'd pick to get a mineral water at the concession stand. The music by John Williams was particularly limp as well, a soothing panacea for sleeping infants and not at all what I expected from the guy that composed the "Raiders March."

Finally, we had that cool old black preacher busting out into unexpectedly awesome turn of phrase with "yellow getting mellow." You could tell in his eyes that he was thinking "Yeah, motherfuckers, this is what I marched for!"

The same goes for the rest of us too. Congrats, Barry!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You know. I am totally with you on watching the inauguration on the BBC

It was a totally different experience. The lat few years I worked for a british born company that had moved HQ to NY and I was refreshing and humbling to get a foreign view of the US. NOt only was the BBC webcast less delayed, the commentary much considerly less so you could hear more.

Not that it mattered really, because I agree with your comments about the other speakers present. their words were not particularly striking to me, or to my coworkers watching it at the time