Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Visit Brian's Drive-In


If you haven't seen it yet, check out this old internet warhorse of a site, Brian's Drive-In, which has been up and running since Clinton's first term.

Brian's Drive-In

He has galleries and images related to fifties beefcake and cheesecake, including profiles of all the actors that have ever played Hercules, Tarzan and Maciste.

Back when I was a Geology major as an undergrad, I heard a professor of mine say that searching for information on the internet is a little like dumpster-diving. I'm often absolutely amazed by very silly people that believe the Internet has made libraries irrelevant. For one thing, the amount of information on the internet is pretty darn shallow, and you need go no further than googling a lot of old b-movie muscle stars. Unless they're a role as high-profile as Tarzan, almost nothing is on about them - just look up Gordon Mitchell (star of GIANT OF METROPOLIS and ATLAS IN THE LAND OF THE CYCLOPS and see what happens.


Look many stars up, the only truly relevant search result is Brian's Drive-In, and even his website can hardly be said to have in-depth profiles on any given actor. And finally, Brian's Drive-In is pre-YouTube, and pre-embedding, so his webpage hardly dances and sings, which adds to its old-fashoined quality.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I loved that site, thanks for reminding me.

Where, exactly, do I find the muscle stud B-movie star section in my local library? ;-)

Esperanto Grrl said...

Where, exactly, do I find the muscle stud B-movie star section in my local library? ;-)

Right next to the Spaghetti Westerns that replaced them, of course!