Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Norway's Arnold Schwarzenegger: Gunnar Rosbo


Bodybuilding is a worldwide sport, and it's interesting to see what countries are represented and over-represented. Gunnar Rosbo is the best product of Norway's bodybuilding culture. He has one of the most startling set of big cannons I've seen, and very impressive triceps. The biceps may get all the attention, but it is the tricep that gives the arm its mass. Gunnar has a very surprising look, like a Norwegian fairytale knight or something.

Unfortunately, Gunnar Rosbo's tale doesn't have a happy ending: last I heard he suffered a nerve injury that meant he couldn't train half of his body that heavily and he left the sport.

I hear politicians all the time say things like, "if we keep these reforms up, we'll turn the United States into Norway!"

Actually, in the case of Iowa and Minnesota, America pretty much IS Norway. If you ever wanted to visit Norway, let me save you a few grand right here: visit Minnesota and I guarantee you won't know the difference.


Despite it all, I respect the Norwegians and Norwegian culture. I like their unpretentiousness, non-showiness, and humility, their "you're not special" attitude. During World War II, King Olaf was known for riding the buses like any other ordinary citizen.

I had an "Iowegian" room-mate in my undergrad years, and I think she was from another planet. One thing she liked to do was have one of those fish oil capsule geltabs each morning. She actually liked to bite down on them and savor the fish juice inside. Being an adventurous type that'd do anything once, I tried doing that myself. It took days, despite my best efforts, to get rid of the taste from my tongue.

There was a great news article about the prevalence of gyms in the new Iraq, for two reasons: previously, only higher-level members of the regime had access to gyms, and disturbingly enough, because a built physique would let them get jobs in Iraq's sunniest and most up-and-coming industry, security and bodyguard work.

Likewise, my friends that are New Zealanders tell me that with Maori, everything is about sports and muscular development. Maori women find muscular Maori men the most attractive, and top athletes and rugby players often have freedom on their schools unbelievable to imagine. Supposedly, they can even enter and use the teacher's lounge at will. It's interesting to note that on "first contact" and e'er after, the British never failed to describe what big, strong bastards the Maori are; early illustrations had them as big, muscular and healthy.

No comments: