Thursday, June 12, 2008

Why are we into muscular men?


One interesting theory I read, way back when I was an undergrad Anthropology student, was the idea that standards of beauty for men were determined by the primary weapon used in a culture. Our culture's image of a well-developed male torso, small waist, big shoulders, large arms, comes from the introduction of the bow and arrow. Cultures that never invented the bow and arrow have very different ideas of the ideal male physique.

The theory had the usual problems for a lot of older Anthropological theories, as it was too materialistic (in other words, the older idea that culture was determined by tools and material things, instead of the other way around, or even a give-and-take). But they're right about one thing: our standard of male beauty has always been about big, wide shoulders and hard, well-developed arms.




Alright, let's make this a little more personal now: why do I like muscular men?

I'm in love with masculinity, with maleness. I love a tall man with big, hard arms that can pick me up. Strength and power, physical, financial, mental, turn me on.

Armchair psychologists often speculate that a lot of women that like muscle men had an absent father figure. Though that's too easy an explanation, and in my case, not strictly true.

Alright, let me come at this from a different angle. One of my ex-boyfriends was the sort of guy that was into those video games like TOMB RAIDER or those games where Karate girls beat each other up. I always wondered why. After all, shouldn't they be true to form with gender identity, boys playing with GI Joes and girls play with Barbies and whatnot?

Though very few men would talk about it, the more obvious it became to me that there's an urge and a desire among men to actually be a beautiful, sexy young woman.

Once I realized that, a lot of my own interests crystalized. I want to actually BE a sexy, brawny and burly stud. There - sounds strange to say, doesn't it? It is true, though: when I read romance stories, usually, I root for the man and not the woman.


One more thing: occasionally, I'm asked what my feelings are on female muscle and bodybuilding.

I think they're dead sexy. I mean that. I love women that are tough and glamorous at the same time. I love weird, alternative types of sexuality, especially if that sexuality is also threatening and challenging to men. I love tattoos and piercings and leather.

I remember an interview once with a female bodybuilder. (I think it was Reney Toney, because this is absolutely something she'd say.) Someone asked her if it bothered her that lots of other people thought she looked like a freak. Her response?

"Well, I like looking like a freak."

COOL!

8 comments:

genex magazine said...

Love that ad - thanks for the post!

g said...

You are awesome, thank you for this insightful and meaning post. All these girls i know have always told me "dont get to big" (in reference to my weightligting) and im like "I wish it were so easy to get that big!"

hahaa, i dont say that, but thats what i want to. Sigh.

Anonymous said...

you love burly, brawny muscle guys?
who doesn't?
your blog is cool!
i love the images,
especially, mae west with her muscle men.

Anonymous said...

To be quite honest, I'm very happy being a woman, with my curves and my girly pleasures, and have no desire to be a muscular man. I'd much rather be with a heroic, hunk of a man than be one.

So it may not be any surprise that I have never understood why any woman would want to go into bodybuilding. Don't get me wrong, I respect them for the commitment it takes and the work involved, and the woman in that advertisement looks great (Photoshop notwithstanding). But to change one's body to such an extreme is a concept that's completely alien to me. Why I feel differently about male bodybuilders is a mystery.

But then, everyone is entitled to their opinions and feelings, and so much the better, right?

I've always thought that men, more or less secretly, like seeing women bitch-slapping one another and/or being tough, hence their affection for Lara Croft and Seven of Nine. But maybe some guys do fantasize about being a sultry bombshell who can kick ass. I'll have to ask my guy friends...

I do however share your habit of rooting for the hero in romance novels. The heroines are too often clichéd and annoying, i.e emotional and irrational. And like you, I also love maleness typified by intelligence, physical strength, and that special brand of courage and resourcefulness. Man as the adventurer, the explorer and the teacher are the archetypes I swoon for. A great example would be Indiana Jones, which you've already mentioned. Another, and my current favourite, being Doctor Who. Not the biggest bloke on the block, but certainly the smartest and most daring. I love that!

Esperanto Grrl said...

you love burly, brawny muscle guys?
who doesn't?
your blog is cool!
i love the images,
especially, mae west with her muscle men.


First, props to you for leaving your comment in the form of a haiku. I know how hard those things can be.

Second, thank you very much, that's what I'm here for! That's high praise indeed coming from someone with a blog as cool as yours.

And Mae West is the coolest person to ever live. She once said, "Marriage is a great institution, but I don't know if I'm ready for an institution yet."

To be quite honest, I'm very happy being a woman, with my curves and my girly pleasures, and have no desire to be a muscular man. I'd much rather be with a heroic, hunk of a man than be one.

Your mileage may vary.

But I have noticed that there's a level at which erotic obsession becomes a desire to BE what you're obsessed with, which is something seldom talked about. The movie BEING JOHN MALKOVITCH is one of the few cases this was actually discussed.

I do however share your habit of rooting for the hero in romance novels. The heroines are too often clichéd and annoying, i.e emotional and irrational.

Oh, God, how I hate stupid virgins.

and the woman in that advertisement looks great (Photoshop notwithstanding).

No photoshop for her. I've met Jelena Abbou in real life (the same occasion I met Mike O'Hearn, interestingly enough), and she really DOES look like that in person.

Another, and my current favourite, being Doctor Who. Not the biggest bloke on the block, but certainly the smartest and most daring. I love that!

Heh, you, me, and a billion other fangirls.

What do you think of the theory that women that are into muscular men are that way because of an absent father figure? It's not true in my case, but anecdotally, I've found it to be true more often than not.

chocosugoi said...

I think because estetics. It's what we like to see/be.
I wonder if in ancient greece they were all muscle ripped handsome guys. It would be nice, he, he.

By the way Esperanto, I like this blog a lot and you chose such awesome pics!

Anonymous said...

What do you think of the theory that women that are into muscular men are that way because of an absent father figure? It's not true in my case, but anecdotally, I've found it to be true more often than not.

Well, it's not exactly my case either, but I have wondered if, as a child, I didn't wish for someone more powerful to "save" me from him. He was a rather overbearing man and had the whole family completely under his thumb... But that's another story, isn't it? *le sigh*

Anonymous said...

paul telfer is married, to a woman and no, she is NOT decades older as was posted in another topic thread...