Thursday, July 3, 2008

Little Big Men



I write muscle growth fiction, where I sexually admire muscular, handsome men with perfect bodies. Being a female writer sexually objectifying men the way men usually do so for women (I thoroughly enjoy the reversal and the power, by the way), I find myself asking a disturbing question: am I contributing to unrealistic standards and bad body image among men?

Well, let me explain one thing: as a former functional anorexic, I don’t believe bad body image comes from the media the way a lot of other people claim. It doesn’t come from outside, but from an internal chemistry, a combination of self-hatred and perfectionism, a desire to have control over your life. Obsessive perfectionism and self-loathing go hand-in-hand. Every single anorexic I ever knew had a 4.0 GPA.

Problems with body image don’t come from the media or from magazines. In my case, it’s about my relationship with my Mother. I grew up very chubby, and I was constantly belittled by my Mother for that reason (among others), a woman who had real problems expressing love or approval. I was made to feel worthless, and that nothing I did was good enough. Also, I was judged a “gifted” student by testing, so essentially I could never, ever come home with a “B.” According to Mom, B’s were for average, little people…which I was not.

In other words, I was trapped in a situation where being valued highly led to belittling my own achievements and good qualities.



It goes without saying how all this is connected to body image. No matter how good your thighs are, they’re not good enough. You internalize feelings of not being “good enough.” Your stomach is always, always chubby no matter how much you do, no matter how much any reasonable person thinks it looks fine. And your self-esteem is so fragile: anytime somebody said my butt looked chubby, I didn’t eat anything for three days.

So, it comes as no surprise I was a functional anorexic all through high school. To this day, I still take most of what I get in a restaurant home, and I never order desserts. Even lattes make me feel bloated.

How does all of this relate to muscle growth fiction?



Well, I’ve noticed in a lot of these stories there’s an excess, a feeling that you’re never “big enough.” Even in muscle growth art, I’ve learned to always stop reading a muscle growth comic two or three panels before the end, because that’s when they’re the brawniest and sexiest. Yet inevitably, the growth comic continues to a point that even someone with a tooth for beefcake - to say nothing of a normal person! - would consider to be grotesque or excessive. And believe me, it takes a LOT for me to say that, too, because I like men BIG!

When I write stories and post them on sites exclusively related to MG, the response I often get is “whoa, make him bigger!” To which I say, “Look, I made him 6’8” and 350 pounds. THERE IS NO “BIGGER.”

That's where my concern about adding to bad body image comes into play. Have I created a sense that "big" isn't "big enough?"

Immobilization is something I especially find disturbing. I probably sound hypocritical criticizing any fetish, because of how sexually dysfunctional and omnivorous I am. As George Burns once said, there are two things you can never argue with: what people find funny and what people find sexy. My purpose isn’t to point and say “ewww!” but rather, to call into question a few assumptions these fetishes work under.





At first, I thought immobilization was a turn-on closely related to being handcuffed, where the pleasure fantasy comes from a loss of control. If that were true, there’d be a lot more scenes in immobilization stories like from cheesy romance novels, where the hunky Pirate King captures a beautiful girl and says something like, “Ha ha, you’re my prisoner to have my way with…!” Instead, there’s a feeling of pushing the body beyond any reasonable dimension, where it’s no longer usable.

This relates to a website I’ve visited, called epiclust.com. For those not in the know, epiclust is a big penis story site. EpicLust has the distinction of being the first place I posted that wasn’t under a man’s pen name, incidentally. At first I thought epiclust was a website related to my fetish: muscle growth, only with a lot more of an emphasis on stories with male/female content. Actually, it’s more on big dicks.

I know what you’re thinking: “heh, sounds like your kinda place, Cristina.”

It’s true: I’m a size queen. I love well-endowed, ox-huge virile men. I don’t want to disappoint any of my fans that imagine me as some super-voracious cock-crazed queen, but really…if I was to make a list of the most important things in a man, a big dick wouldn’t even make the top ten. Wouldn’t even make the top fifteen. It’s nice to have, but it’s way, way behind other and far sexier characteristics.

Which is why I find epiclust bizarre. The sort of penises they fantasize about having are too large to possibly have sex with any normal earthling woman, and in fact many protagonists of the stories there are frustrated for this VERY reason. In other words, the stories aren’t about sex as such, or even fantasies about being more sexually competent.

Penis size, to men, represents masculinity and value as a man. That’s why they call it a “manhood.” That’s what leads me to believe the writers on epiclust have serious issues on a par with anorexia or bigorexia: feelings of worthlessness or anxiety about being a man.

Everything about epiclust indicates a readership that is so sex-starved that the act of sex itself becomes mythologized, almost unreal. It doesn’t matter if a dick is four feet long and thus, less likely to be pleasure-giving and more like a brutal killing weapon Vikings fight with. There’s an emphasis also on elements of sex that anyone that actually HAS sex is downright terrified of: pregnancy, for instance. Like the Bigorexia of musclegrowth sites, their fixations are pushed into transparently psychological dimensions related to self-loathing.

I will admit, there’s something kind of sexy about incest, a common epiclust theme. That’s not how it comes off on epiclust, though: it comes off as an anxiety about women. Women related to men are “safe” and nonthreatening.

Finally, I have to say a few words about the Furry phenomenon.


Psychologically, furries are an interesting and fascinating case, and if I decide to get my Master’s in Psych after I finish my MLS, I think I’d study them more in depth.

Here’s the behaviorism/Pavlovian explanation for how fetishes form. Let’s say you’re sexually aroused by something, for instance, a hot guy holding something incidental to the arousal, like (for the sake of the example) a rubber duckie. Later on, when you remember the arousal you received from the image, there’s an association made between getting turned on, and the incidental feature of the image (in this case, the rubber duckie). Enough of this happens, you might get a fetish for guys holding rubber duckies.

My mentor in the psychology department as an undergrad had actually studied and written on the furry phenomenon, and would have written a book on the subject if she hadn’t put it on hold due to cancer. Essentially, she studied furries, and found that it was different from other sexual fetishes, and didn’t form the usual way.

She found several interesting commonalities among male furries. Essentially, all of them had a similar profile: they usually had an absent father figure, suffered from social awkwardness caused by anxiety. “Furry” is less a fetish, more a “safety room” created to ease anxiety. That’s why furries comically overreact to any criticism: it’s an invasion, an intrusion into their “safety area.”

Men who are chubby chasers or who like female bodybuilders sometimes overreact this way. Their overreaction takes the form of dislike for society’s “standards of beauty.” It’s ESPN’s fault for not showing the Ms. Olympia, because of the unrealistic standards of beauty in our culture! Absolutely there’s some truth to the idea our media standards are airbrushed to an insane degree, but still…we have to be honest here. Female bodybuilders are weird looking (not a bad thing, I’d love to be one and freak people out), and reactions of disgust or bizarre fascination are to be expected, and are not offensive. Anyone who likes female bodybuilders and fat women are weird (which is not necessarily a bad thing). Please stop being sanctimonious, stop saying “everybody else” has the problem, and please have a sense of humor and laugh off any criticism.

6 comments:

chocosugoi said...

muscle growth stories are great, loke fantasies.
That marcel pic is awesome, thanks

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I know Im weird. So what? :D I like big muscular women, but in art, there is a too big for me, too. I like muscular men, too, though I am a man, and I think Im straight.

Classtoise said...

I agree with the female bodybuilder and the furry part. Many furries see it as a "safety", and like with all cultures, ideas, etc. there are those who look at the more adamant and cry "fursecution" and go "...What the HELL is wrong with you?" despite still considering themselves furries. But that's a different story.

As for FBBs I notice all too often at certain sites that they are never happy. She-Hulk lost in the end of a multi-part comic? THEY HATE STRONG WOMEN!
A random side-character is beaten by the hero? HATES STRONG WOMEN! Etc.

g said...

You are awesome, and your posts are the most thoughtful i've ever read on this subject. The pictures of hunky men also help.

The furry discussion is particularly interesting to me... since its something i completely lack understanding. Its like they're from mars... can't see that point of view at all. And while i know its not the point of this page (and i LOVE the subject of this blog...) any more discussion on the psychology of furrism WOULD be an interesting read, since i think you've captured a good thesis there.

There was this experiment done on a species of birds that had one stripe on its beak. biologists painted two stripes on the beaks of the birds and found that they attracted mates easier. then they painted on more stripes... and found that they were even more popular... or something to that effect. It was a study a psych major friend told me about. Thought it was interesting, relates to the extremism that is often found in muscle-growth stuff.

Personally, as someone who's had interest in these extreme sizes in the past, i think it has something to do with the actual process of masturbation and orgasm more than some conceptual element of power or authority. Its this sexual frenzy for more and more (masturbation) which translates into more and more {sexual object} (...muscle) and therefore is brought to an extreme.

Men show this a lot more than women, and i think it has a physiological root rather than a psychological one... but thats just my theory. (im male)

Anonymous said...

fu-monkey here. let me start off by saying that I love yer blog, C.I.B. Like your stories, your blog is engaging, thought-provoking and really well designed. (and I agree with garrix that the pics you choose really complement your text well)

Thanks for sharing your "little big men" post with us. It was really wide-ranging and deep, and made me pause to reflect on my own eclectic tastes, "size fetish" in particular.

It's one I don't even fully understand myself. I discovered (was infected with?) I had a breast fetish via a stolen playboy mag. It was simple enuf at first, but then I found that the boobs I daydreamed about just kept getting bigger.

Then when I read my first Richard Corben "Den" graphic novel, my size fetish expanded to include penises(no pun intended). A diet of Kevin Taylor comics ensured I'd be keeping this fetish on permanently. And, like with the breast thing, the penises just kept growing.

I can tell you that it felt REALLY weird in the beginning. I knew a lot of guys (and a few girls) with breast size fetishes and imho it's a well understood phenomena, accepted and even expected, to a certain level, by society. Society reinforces this one even as it gives lip service denegrating it, kinda like it does with alcohol.

The penis size fetish was a different story. It's just not "out there" like the breast thing is. I often found myself wondering things like, "am i actually gay..?" or "am I insecure about myself?"

The answer turned out to be neither (or maybe I was and grew out of it?). But there was always a guilt associated with it that I just didn't feel with the boob fetish. I think it comes in part (but maybe not wholly) from knowing that it goes against the grain of our monogamous, male-dominated society. (in a polygamous society, all bets would be off)

So, I can't generalize for everyone with this interest, but I like to think that I'm just open-minded. I really like my fantasies amped. Fuck realism, that's the part of life that is mean to be lived. In the realm of imagination tho, give me gods and goddesses and earth-shaking fucks, stuff that I can't find anywhere else in fiction.

As for the fetish itself, I think no discussion of penis size fetishes can be complete without mention of the breast size fetish. I think they share underlying causalities (obsessive personalities combined with exposure to specific stimuli during arousal?) and personally I think they go together like cookies and milk.

I threw epiclust onto the web to find others with similar love for this "reese's peanut butter cup" of fetishes and to try to foster a passionate little creative community celebrating it. There's just a dearth of this material out there.

But it was also part experiment -- I didn't want to guide the site to my tastes, I wanted to let it go organically to see what would happen, and in that regard it's been really interesting. The incest angle that you mentiond, for example, was a total surprise, and the "big bodied women" and "ped" stuff as well. (I could go on speculating about these but prolly shouldn't bloat your blog any further)

Damn, your post was so thought-provoking I think I could keep writing my response forever -- and it's taking some willpower to keep from getting into your really interesting comment about narrative points-of-view in one of your later entries.

Anyways thanks for sharing such a rich blog entry with the rest of us, and I hope to see more of your Big Dragon III story soon. (you promised!!)

-Fu

Esperanto Grrl said...

Fu-Monkey:

Thank you for your kind words of praise and for your attempt to explain how you feel. I deeply appreciate your readership of my blog and my erotic fiction, and I am both awed and humbled by it. Here's a true story: when I wrote ARMS OF STEEL and MUSCLE GYM GROUPIE, I was going through a bad time in my life. Your in-depth, encouraging comments on both those stories did nothing short of make my day.

I feel terrible that I am responding to a post so filled with praise, with a post filled with criticism. I regret that admiration can't be more two-way.

Before I begin, I'd like one thing to be kept in mind: it's impossible to argue with what other people find sexy. This is not what I am trying to do. What I am attempting to do is ask the question "why?"

I mentioned in my post why the incest and dick phenomenon are such a big deal among the epiclust readership, that basically it boils down to anxieties about women and masculinity among a readership that is mostly virginal, for whom sex is almost an abstraction. Anyone that has had any real contact with a real woman knows that a big dick isn't a big deal to us.

You mention boobs, and I'd like to talk about this too.

Here's an outsider's (honest) perspective: the big boob thing is simultaneously creepy and adolescent. It's like going into a guy's batchelor pad and finding a giant sky-high column of Maxim magazines, a poster of Jessica Alba, 50,000 comic books and wall-to-wall action figures. What's going through my mind is, "wow, are you like, thirteen years old or something?" In that sense, it doesn't surprise me so many stories on that website have pre-teen protagonists, that's the mental age of the readers!

I mean, I really mean no offense here, but the vibe I get from EpicLust is "Omega Male Den." I can almost smell the doritos-and-sweat smell of my high school AV Club room. Say what you will about www.musclegrowth.org, but at least they don't have a thread over there comparing the fuckability levels of characters in the friggin' Dungeons and Dragons Monster Guide.

(Of course, this may set off the hypocrisy alarm, since so many of my stories deal with science fiction themes. I am a geek girl and I've never tried to deny it. But I don't think I've ever been immature, I don't think I've ever been derivative, and I don't think I've ever been creepy.)

There are a couple of my stories where I didn't even talk about my female character's breasts at all...I think EpicLust showed me how unrelated cup size is to a woman's ability to be sexy.

I hate to keep going back to the incest element, but I think that's the key to understanding the entire EpicLust phenomenon. As I said above, related women are "safe." But there's more to it than that. Anxiety about women is the basis for nearly every element of the EpicLust fetish. Women are "sluts" (as that idiot Neanderthal, Big Timmy once said) or "bimbos." In other words, women that aren't mature and aren't threatening.

Finally, I have to mention how little work of real quality is on EpicLust. There are some mediums that are just not as legitimate a form of expression as others. For instance, Poser Art. The stories are often uninspired: I hate to single out Love's World, but it's absolutely typical: mind-destroying prose style, dumb women that don't act like real women do, and a story that just doesn't "go" anywhere.

And that's just the content that's original for the site, and not other people's works that are cribbed and posted!

I don't know. I just find it disturbing to read about a dumb, vile beast like Big Timmy that treats women badly, and know there are guys out there going "hey, I want to be that guy!"

All of this carries with it a note of disappointment. I found EpicLust from a link on musclegrowth.org, and I assumed it was a new muscle growth story site with "straight" content, which is what I was producing at the time (as opposed to musclegrowth, which is mostly gay). I was a very slow to lurk, and it took me a bit to realize this was something very different from what I thought it was.