Thursday, July 10, 2008

Maybe some of my guy readers can help me out with this...



I don’t have a penis, so I don’t really know, but when reading a muscle growth story, who is it that the average male reader identifies with and longs to be?

The reason I ask is because so many stories have their point of view character be a man that knows the guy that grows, and that leads me to believe the desire here isn’t to be a muscle stud themselves, but to worship and admire one as an object.

Who the “point of view” character in a story is, is usually pretty revealing. In psychology there’s a test called the Thematic Apperception Test. Usually a photograph is shown to the subject, which they have to tell a story about. Usually the pictures are ambiguous, and what the subject projects on them are very revealing. One big question of the test is, “who is the hero/heroine of the story?” All sorts of things can be learned from who the person the test-taker sees themselves in.

In a great many muscle growth stories, the point-of-view character is the muscle growth stud’s boyfriend or girlfriend. If the story is written first-person, they’re the narrator, and if it’s third person, it is through their eyes the events are described. The reason this is important is because the POV character represents the desires of the writer themselves.



With the exception of BIG DRAGON II, the events of my stories are usually told from the POV of the female character. I think it’s pretty obvious at this point to say that Morgan was a self-insertion, although I hope she was spunky and sexy enough that I can be forgiven for this. I’m way, way past my Goth phase, but a few of the things that happened to Morgan, like the incident where she whaled on a far larger Frat guy at a party, are actually derived from my own life.

Take a story I’m currently reading and enjoying, like “The Boy Kevin” or “The Office Boy” or “The Creation of a God” by Gideon. All are told from the point of view of a guy that is masterfully dominated by a far younger, handsomer muscle guy that’s obviously a sex object. The main character is older, less physically perfect, more like the audience themselves, and clearly expresses a wish to be a “sub,” to be dominated.

(This, by the way, is why fannish stories and internet erotic fiction will never get respect in the mainstream. Imagine on the nightly news, “The world is anxiously holding its breath today for the release of the latest masterpiece by Superfister69...”)


If everybody’s reading this and going, “well, no duh, honey,” I apologize, but it always seemed more logical to me that muscle growth stories reflects wish-fulfillment on the part of the writer themselves to grow strong and desirable.

6 comments:

Seri said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seri said...

As a guy, I'm attracted to muscle period whether I'd have it or be had by it, so I can enjoy both kinds of stories.

Unknown said...

I'm a straight guy, a bodybuilder and a fan of muscle growth art and stories. For me it's an extension of being muscular and my love of super powerful heroes and villains alike.

In the stories I like to see myself a the growing character. I some times read the gay stories for ideas but more often than not I end up getting turned off to them. The straight stories which I wish there were more of I do enjoy. Odd that muscle growth is more gay oriented...oh well HAHA.

chocosugoi said...

Chad Ray Martin has the perfect V-shape. So wide at the shoulders....

Anonymous said...

As the creator of "Emil" my interest was illustrating the super figure coupled with hypersexual attributes. It's sort of a "what if" scenario. What if someone like Emil existed. It's fun to see how a character comes to terms with such incredible charisma, sexual power. I'm mainly drawn to female characters with looks and an incredibly powerful libido, but Emil was a break from that.

Anonymous said...

Before I became a lifter I enjoyed writing about such things because it was something I wanted myself. Now that Im a regular gym rat, I have to come to grips that I can still never get to those fantasy levels even with illegal supplementation, which I avoid like the plague anyways. Its frankly just an ego stroke fantasy.
Also sorry for the necropost, but its a subject which interests me too.